How is it 2020 and vegan snacks are still not normalised during the holidays? Today, we’re making that stride. Here is an assortment of simple, creative treats that are a hoot to make and will blow your (spooky) socks off.
Searching the internet far and wide for Halloween recipes that are plant-based can be so exhausting since there are literally so few. Look no further, you lucky witches and warlocks. This Halloween, with quarantine restrictions tightening as another brutal wave of COVID-19 sweeps through London, embrace the festivities by keeping your community safe and avoiding any parties. Stay inside, social distance and show off to your Instagram followers some adorable vegan grub.
Ingredients: bell peppers, carrots or apples (for filling)
Tools: Knife, cutting board
- Cut off the tops of however many bell peppers you’d like and empty their slimy guts.
- Use a small knife to cut little faces into the smooth sides.
- Fill with sliced apples, carrots, or whatever you’d like.
Chocolate strawberry ghosts:
Ingredients: strawberries, meltable vegan white chocolate (can make at home or buy online), dark chocolate
Tools: microwavable bowl, spoon, one chopstick, tray
- Melt chocolate in a microwave or on hob.
- Wash strawberries.
- Coat strawberries in white chocolate.
- Place on tray.
- Place tray in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- After white chocolate has hardened, melt a small amount of dark chocolate in a bowl.
- Use a chopstick to draw spooky faces with the dark chocolate.
- Put back in fridge to harden again.
Ingredients: vegan chocolate chip cookie dough, vegan white chocolate, almonds, vegan mini marshmallows, white vegan icing, red food dye, candy eyeballs
Tools: Baking tray, bowl, spoon, knife
- Bake cookies.
- While cookies are baking, mix together enough red food dye into the white icing to make true red (not pink).
- Once cookies are cooled, cut them in half.
- Coat bottoms of cookie halves with red icing.
- Place marshmallows along edges (like teeth!).
- Cut almonds in half and then place two in front of teeth (like fangs!).
- Use a little amount of red icing to place candy eyes on top.
Ingredients: vegan white chocolate, green food dye, almonds, pretzel sticks
Tools: tray, bowl, spoon
- Melt white chocolate.
- Put a small amount of green food dye into the white chocolate and mix.
- Coat pretzel sticks.
- Place on tray.
- Place halved almonds at the top.
- Put tray in the fridge until chocolate hardens.
Ingredients: green apples, candy eyeballs, peanut butter, almonds
- Quarter apples.
- Cut mouth incision into sides.
- Spread peanut butter into incisions.
- Place halved almonds into incisions (like teeth!).
- Use peanut butter to place candy eyeballs on top.
Words & Photos: Maelina Hassel | Subbing: Will Murray