As winter approaches, the harsh weather often takes its toll on our skin. Here are our five winter essentials to help you through the season.
Words: Michelle Whitney, Subeditor: Lauren Banton
Autumn/Winter Essentials (Michelle Whitney)
We understand that you all lead busy fulfilling hectic lives, but your skincare routine need not be so complex. As long as you have staple items to cleanse tone and moisturise, your skin should be ready for anything.
Winter can be especially drying to our skin and hair (not to mention the pollution that ruins our skin living in the city, commuting on the tube leaves my skin drier than the Sahara desert); generally in the colder seasons we alter our clothing but along with that, our skincare routine, perfume and make-up. Here is a list of our top 5 items to help you survive winter.
- Chanel Coco Noir Eau de Parfum £106/100ml. Admittedly this is pricey, however it’s 100ml so your purchase would be economical, it would definitely last you a few winters. It’s quite a heavy fragrance, and alluringly potent; with notes of jasmine, bergamot and sandalwood, this scent is perfect for winter.
- Lush Bubblegum Lip Scrub £5.50/25g. Honestly, I didn’t realise how much dry skin I had on my lips until I started using this scrub. It sounds rather unpleasant, but if you wear make-up daily you’ll find that lipsticks and lip-gloss dry out your lips. Exfoliating with this scrub at least twice a week helps to keep your lips smooth and silky, as they should be. Plus it is what it says on the tin, quite literally, bubblegum – sometimes I use it just so I can eat it. Yummy!
- Bodyshop Vitamin e Moisture Cream £12/50ml. Vitamin e helps guard against wrinkles and drying winter conditions. You can use this cream all over, as it’s multi-purpose it can also be used as a primer underneath make-up.
- Garnier Micellar Cleansing Water £1.99/125ml. Micellar water blew up on social media last year, and it was well worth the hype. The Garnier one is good value, and perfect for those always on the go. You can use it as a cleanser/toner as well as make-up removal when you’re too lazy to reach for the baby wipes.
- Chanel Sublimage La Crème Yeux £125/15ml. The ultimate in moisturisation decadence. Use sparingly – a pea-sized amount under each eye can illuminate the eye area and regenerate skin, or use underneath concealer for a dewy finish. When skin is tired and dull (which tends to happen in winter months), use all over for a complete revival in skin radiance.