Thursday, October 18The Voice of London

Northolt armed stand-off continues: police investigate stockpile of petrol

Armed police have spent a second night negotiating with a man alleged to be in possession of large “quantities of petrol and combustible material”.

Reporter: Daniel Khalili-Tari | Subeditor: Abigail Megan Widya

The man is said to be mentally unwell 

Police have been at the scene for over 48 hours. Source: @LFaurePhotos

Eighty people spent a second consecutive night away from their homes as police continue talks with a man who has barricaded himself inside his property in Wood End Lane, north-west London.

The police were called to the man’s home address on Friday at 1am because of worries he had hazardous materials in his house. Several police vans are at the scene.

The property has not yet been searched due to safety fears for both the police and the man.

A London Metropolitan Police spokesperson said:

“Whilst it is not known exactly what the man has inside the property police are treating seriously reports that the items appeared hazardous and dangerous, as they are said to include quantities of petrol and combustible material. It has also been reported that attempts have been made to prevent access to the property.

“Police believe that the man is alone inside the address.

“Due to concerns for the safety of the man at the address, local residents and the responding officers, police did not attempt to access the property on arrival.

“Police negotiators and armed police remain at the location. To date the man has not engaged with officers and all options are being considered. The priority of the MPS is to bring this incident to a safe conclusion, and that may take some time.

“Police are concerned for the man’s well-being and believe he may currently be experiencing mental health issues, which could be exacerbated by police action or may make his behaviour unpredictable.”

Chief Superintendent Paul Martin in charge of policing Ealing said:

“Our aim is to bring this to a safe conclusion for everyone. I know that our operation has been ongoing for some time now and that it is causing disruption and inconvenience to local residents and the community of Northolt.

“I would like to thank them for their continued patience and cooperation.”

Passers-by have been tweeting about the incident:

Ealing Council were not available to comment.

%d bloggers like this: