The actor became famous for his roles in films such as Transformers and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, but now it seems that he’s taken a step back from these roles to become the biggest weirdo to ever emerge from Hollywood. He’s confused us a few times with what can only be described as shocking and incredibly funny behaviour, but we love it. Here are eight times that Shia LaBeouf (Or LaBae as he has now been named here, by yours truly) really caught our attention.
Words: Yasmin Harding, Subeditor: Lauren Burgess
- I AM NOT FAMOUS ANYMORE! That paper bag debut on the red carpet
The infamous paper bag that read ‘I AM NOT FAMOUS ANYMORE’ covered the head of the actor on the red carpet during the premiere of Lars Von Tier’s Nymphomaniac. Why did he do this? No one really knows. A cry for help? A get out of Hollywood plea? Or maybe…Shia LaBeouf just doesn’t give a fuck. He will wear a paper bag over his head because he wants to. Teach us your ways Shia.
- Did you know Shia LaBeouf is a cannibal? No? Of course you didn’t, because it’s not actually true. Just to be clear here: Shia LaBeouf does not eat people.
BUT he has a song about him, with lyrics such as ‘actual cannibal Shia LaBeouf’. Created by Rob Candor, the song makes no sense, but Shia himself makes an appearance at the end with the ‘Shia Suprise!’. Warning: It is catchy, it cannot be explained… ‘Normal tuesday night for Shia LaBeouf’ Ok, let’s stop quoting it. Just watch it below.
- #ALLMYMOVIES Shia’s latest project entailed him watching a constant marathon of all his movies in a theatre, in reverse chronological order, over the space of three days.
That’s 27 movies, in three days. What an intense way to self-reflect and observe yourself. You could also join the project if you were in the area and if you weren’t, a live stream was available. He cried happy tears during the Even Stevens Movie, that should be enough to warm your heart. (He did eat and take naps when it was necessary, no Shia’s were harmed in the making of this project)
Speaking in an interview to NewHive, he explained some of the shit movies he felt the need to nap during:
“When the movies started getting shit and they knew that I felt it too, it was the shared secret that we all had…not just because I’m in it…I’m in the same boat as you, I’m a viewer in this and this is hard for me to watch too. In fact, I’m gonna go take a nap ‘cause I hate myself, not ‘cause I’m tired, but because I’m dying right now. And nobody had a problem with that.” Guess what? Shia is human and can also appreciate when a movie is utter shit, even if it has his own face in it. *Applauds*
4. JUST. DO. IT. If you are ever in need of some motivational words, Shia has just the thing for you.
In a video with his rat tail swishing about behind him (wtf was that?!) he tells us to not let our dreams be dreams, to just do it, to make our dreams happen. It’s the beginning of a presidential speech waiting to happen. President Shia LaBae.
5. The silent interview: One of the strangest, or most creative interviews of all time? You can decide after watching it here.
The result is an hour long video in which LaBeouf and his interviewer sit and stare at each other in silence, with Go Pro’s on their heads. It features some awkward laughter… another reminder that he’s human. Just incase we forgot. Before the two met, they struck up an email correspondence, covering topics such as faith, cynicism and even a claim that he was sexually assaulted during a performance art exhibit this year. *cry*
— Shia LaBeouf (@thecampaignbook) November 27, 2014
6. #IAMSORRY In what seemed like a cry for help, Shia LaBeouf held an art installation featuring the ‘I’m not famous anymore’ paper bag over his head, in which the general public could enter a room with him and do pretty much whatever they wanted. This came after allegations of plagiarism, and Shia Later revealed that he had been sexually assaulted. He says the woman ‘whipped my legs for ten minutes and then stripped my clothing and proceeded to rape me’ during his silent performance art work #IAMSORRY. *Cry again* We just want to give LaBae a massive hug.
7. #FollowMyHeart You can listen to the actors heart. Yes, his actual heartbeat. In March last year he debuted his heart beat to the world. Listen to it here. (Warning: If you have headphones it’s a bit unsettling.) LaBeouf explained in a statement, “Like cats have whiskers, we too are born with a guidance system: our heart. It is our inner GPS, our map, and our guide. It promises to lead us down the path of maximum fulfillment.” Meeeowww Shia. Getting philosophical there.
— Shia LaBeouf (@thecampaignbook) March 14, 2015
8. Storyteller Shia LaBoeuf: That time he got arrested at the musical cabaret, and told us the greatest story of all time. Guaranteed to make you laugh. We just want a night out with Shia LaBeouf, or whatever he’s on. Apparently, whisky is the root of all evil here.
And there you have it, what’s not to love? Aside from acting in controversial movies such as Nymphomaniac, (still trying to figure out if that really was his trousersnake in the movie) wearing tight man leggings, and creating unusual projects, he has become an art form in his own right. Who wants boring movie stars? Not us. We can always expect something bizarre and refreshing from him, and as soon as he has a project in London, we’ll be right at the front of the queue. Never change, Shia LaBae.